Saturday, January 24, 2009

Reading: Roger-Pol Droit


The 38-degree heat and an upcoming beach holiday has put me in a contemplative and philosophical mood. I am a dreamer by nature, but today especially so.

In these moments I find myself returning to what may just be my favourite book, 101 expériences de philosophie quotidienne (101 Experiments in the Philosophy of Everyday Life), by Roger-Pol Droit.

This book has special meaning to me, as I first encountered it when I had just finished high school and was trying to figure out what to do with my life. While I haven't answered that question yet, this book was instrumental in me learning how to step outside my mind, experiencing familiar things in a new way, and revel in the spontaneity of life.

The book is small, only 200 pages, and contains 101 simple 'experiments' that will have the reader reflecting on life, death and everything in between.

Some experiments are humourous, such as Dread the arrival of the bus, or Drink while urinating (surprisingly liberating). Some are sobering, such as Imagine your imminent death, or Contemplate a dead bird. And some may get you in trouble, such as Tell a stranger she is beautiful.

But every experiment in this book, no matter how silly or scary they sound, will have you looking at life in an entirely different and unique way, no matter how many times you try them.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds fun, I will get that book - thanks for recommendation.........could you do your own twists - like tell a stranger they are beautiful while you are urinating? More seriously - vaguely reminds me of the philosophy about doing the ordinary things differently to keep your brain active and ward of Alzheimers - like shave with the hand opposite to the normal one you use....

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has also written another book that is good called How Are Things? Similar concept but with "things" or objects, rather than activities. The guy is a genius thinker!

    ReplyDelete